Why did Andrew Carnegie pick 38-yr-old-Schwab ?

français 1, 2
One of the first people in American business to be paid a salary of over a million dollars a year was Charles Schwab.
He had been picked by Andrew Carnegie to become the first president of the newly formed United States Steel Company in 1921, when Schwab was only thirty-eight years old.

Schwab says that he was paid this salary largely because of his ability to deal with people.

"I consider my ability to arouse enthusiasm among my people. The greatest asset I possess, the way to develop the best that is in a person is by appreciation and encouragement.
There is nothing else that so kills the ambitions of a person as criticisms from superiors. I never criticize anyone. I believe in giving a person incentive to work. So I am anxious to praise but loath to find fault. If I like anything, I am hearty in my approbation and lavish in my praise."

This is what Schwab did. But what do average people do? The exact opposite. If they don't like a thing, they bawl out their subordinates; if they do like it, they say nothing.

"In my wide association in life, meeting with many and great people in various parts of the world," Schwab declared, "I have yet to find the person, however great or exalted his station, who did not do better work and put forth greater effort under a spirit of approval than he would ever do under a spirit of criticism."
That he said, frankly, was one of the outstanding reasons for the phenomenal success of Andrew Carnegie. Carnegie praised his associates publicly as well as privately.

Carnegie wanted to praise his assistants even on his tombstone. He wrote an epitaph for himself which read: "Here lies one who knew how to get around him men who were cleverer than himself."
-- Excerpt from "How to Win Friends & Influence People"
Written by Dale Carnegie edited by Denik
Dale Carnegie (1888-1955) Pioneer in self-improvement training